DIY to turn disused resources into smiles on disadvantaged children’s faces
Transforming disused material into DIY objects with value
Supporting disadvantaged children with fund raised through DIY events and charity sale of DIY objects
Reducing waste of disused resources
Minimizing waste of material, human and financial resources while disposing disused material
Minimizing eventual enviromental pollution during disposal of disused material
We are a group of people cherishing resources, concerned about environmental protection and keen on DIY.
Currently we use disused cotton, wool or polyester thread donated by sponsor factory to make various objects, either in traditional manner like knitting and crocheting or in creative new manners like finger knitting.
How many ways of playing yarn do you know? In our yarn bar, under the guidance of our facilitators, you will discover not only conventional ways but also unconventional ways that you would never imagine, including finger knitting scarf, yes, you read it right, knitting with only your fingers! Come to enjoy yourself with colorful wool and some peaceful moment before leaving with your own creation and achievement, and most importantly, happy mood!
We customize products for disadvantaged children with their name and favorite colors. We could customize for your personal order too，with your name for your family members or friends, with company logo for your employees or clients etc.
Ready products for sale
Products made by volunteers are available online for sale.
Existing items remake
We could use the material of your existing objects to remake per design you specify
1. Complete the donation to Children’s Hope Foundation with the fund raised through the first order
2. Organize Yarn bar events for Leftover children in Huayuan country of Xiangxi state in Hunan province before Chinese new year and identify opportunity of creating employment through yarn DIY for local disadvantaged population
3. Identify opportunity of creating employment through yarn DIY for disadvantaged population in China
4. Identify opportunity of creating employment through yarn DIY for handicap population with limited mobility in China
5. Make hats for children living with cancer, with braids for girls, and make colorful decoration for their rooms
6. Organize Yarn bar events in Shanghai for orphans and children living with serious disease
7. Organize bigger scale DIY training for volunteers
8. Organize Yarn bar for both adults and children to raise fund
9. Invite Leftover children from countryside to Shanghai to participate in “The outside world” summer camp during summer holidays
10. Organize events outside of Shanghai through collaboration with other organizations
11. Switch DIY focus from yarn to other disused material received so far after the weather turns warm: fabrics, felt, wall paper, tile, plastic flooring, carpet etc and other disused material that we will receive
12. Source more disused material from both individuals and organizations, especially from Architecture design and Garmen design companies
13. Volunteer team building
As founder of the project, I was absolutely amazed by the enthusiasm and willingness of volunteers for doing something good for others and for the planet, and was deeply touched by the happiness, excitement and warmth they experienced while doing so.
I am also very glad that all the non-volunteers, both adults and children, participating in our events had great time enjoying DIY in a way that they never imagined.
The project aims to turn up-cycled resources into smiles on disadvantaged children’ face, it turns out that while working towards it, tons of smiles have been brought up to the faces of both volunteers and on volunteers involved. I hope that this spirit could go on and on and also pass onto many other people that will join us in the future!
As the project is still on its starting phase, we are short of volunteers of all categories, the core team is yet to be formed officially, we still don’t have our own project logo, the WeChat official account is yet to be created, we still don’t have a venue that’s always available for volunteer training workshop, available resources are still limited, which make it impossible for us to meet the demand of the market: we are not able to commit to big orders with certain deadline, yarn bar for both adults and children can not be held as expected etc.
To make the steady and faster development of the project possible, we sincerely invite sponsors and volunteers that are keen in welfare undertaking to join us with contribution to one or few of the following aspects. （Items with ** are urgent needs)
1. **DIY volunteer： beginner (free training provided) or experienced DIY lover
2. **DIY trainer： provide training to DIY beginners
3. Photographer：photo shooting for DIY products and projects events
4. Model for photo shooting: photo shooting with DIY products
5. **Editor：write articles to promote the project and product
6. Graphic designer： designing project logo, web site or WeChat official account
7. **Product designer: design product based on available material
8. **Project planer： develop strategies for project operation
9. **Project development coordinator：Plan and organize project events
10. Project coordinator：Coordinate communication and assist in event delivery
11. **Web maintainer: project website and wechat account maintenance
12. Disused material identifier： identify and recommend disused material source
a. **Venue for DIY events（for 5-12 people or more）
b. **Storage space for material and products in Shanghai
c. Indoor venue for product photo shooting
d. Project logo printing
e. Disused material provider（fabric, felt and other textile products, wood, plastic, leather, paper etc)